Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Why Hasn’t VDOT Fixed That Road!!?? This is what you can do to help them do their job.

Photo By Chuck Thompson

As we navigate the roads, streets and highways throughout Virginia, most of us will find ourselves wondering why the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has not fixed a pothole, repaired a street that is falling apart, cleaned out a drainage ditch or about any number of other roadway issues. Typically, we assume VDOT monitors the condition of Virginia’s transportation facilities and performs maintenance as needed, but when it comes to roads, streets and highways, we assume wrong to say the least.

As it turns out, VDOT relies primarily on reports from roadway users and traffic stopping roadway failures to determine when maintenance or repairs are necessary. For this reason and because VDOT does very little to inform roadway users of this responsibility, we are providing you with information on how to report roadway problems to VDOT.

The best way to report non-emergency roadway problems is to fill out and submit an online service request. The first step in the process is telling VDOT how they can help you. You will be asked to select one of the following choices:

-         I need a road repaired

-         I need something removed from a road

-         I need signs, signals, or guardrail repaired

-         I need new signs or traffic devices installed

-         I need to report an issue on a sidewalk, or pedestrian or bicycle path

-         I have a question or need information

-         I want to submit a claim (includes mailbox damage)

-         I want to submit a compliment

-         Other

Once you select the area you are asking for help with, you will be asked to provide details about the requested service and your contact information. When filling out your contact information, we suggest not providing a phone number. Not providing a phone number will force VDOT to correspond with you in writing through email instead of by phone; otherwise there will not be a written record of VDOT’s response to you to fall back on in the event your service request is not satisfactorily fulfilled. The online service application only takes a couple of minutes to complete and can be found at:

If your service request is related to a road hazard that needs immediate attention, VDOT suggests calling them at 1-800-367-7623 (FOR-ROAD). For emergencies, they recommend dialing 911.

You also have the option of contacting or visiting your local VDOT Residency Office. The following is contact information for the office that services Gloucester County:

-         Saluda Residency (Servicing: Essex, Gloucester, King and Queen, King William, Mathews, Middlesex)

-         Temporary address: 300 Virginia St.

Urbanna, Virginia 23175

-         Mailing address: 1027 General Puller Highway

Saluda, Virginia 23149

-         Phone: 804-758-2321

Have A Great Day and Be Safe on Our Roadways

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to comment on this article. Please note, we moderate every comment before we allow it to post. Comments do not show up right away because of this.