|English: The state seal of Virginia.(Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Consortium to promote Virginia’s role as a key leader in nuclear energy
RICHMOND - Governor Bob McDonnell announced today the election of leadership to the newly formed Virginia Nuclear Energy Consortium (VNEC) Authority. The 17-member board of directors has elected as its chairman Marshall Cohen, Vice President of Government Affairs and Communications at The Babcock and Wilcox Company. The board elected Donald Hoffman, President and CEO of Excel Services Corporation and President of the American Nuclear Society, to serve as its vice-chairman. Sama Bilbao y Leon, Associate Professor and Director of Nuclear Engineering Programs at VCU was elected treasurer for the Authority. Bob Bailey, Executive Director of the Center for Advanced Engineering & Research was elected as Secretary.
“Nuclear energy is an important piece of our ‘all of the above’ approach to energy development not just in Virginia, but across our nation,” said Governor McDonnell. “Virginia has a unique opportunity to lead in the nuclear energy sector, creating jobs for our citizens, developing a workforce that can meet the needs of the industry and conducting research to advance new nuclear technologies. We are home to two nuclear power generation facilities, operated by Dominion Virginia Power, a shipyard that builds the nation’s nuclear Navy, strong research institutions expanding their work in nuclear engineering and related fields, Babcock & Wilcox, Areva and other significant companies in the nuclear energy sector. Bringing these assets together around the table to develop research partnerships, workforce pipelines, information resources and educational opportunities will support and expanding industry and be good for all Virginians. I thank the newly elected leaders for their service and commitment to making Virginia a nuclear energy leader.”
Following today’s meeting of the VNEC Authority, Chairman Marshall Cohen said, “I appreciate the opportunity to lead the Virginia Nuclear Energy Consortium in its first year as we work to promote Virginia’s rich, diverse and important nuclear industry and encourage additional collaboration and partnerships here in the Commonwealth. Nuclear energy is responsible for thousands of good-paying jobs and millions of dollars in economic activity in Virginia. We appreciate Governor McDonnell and the General Assembly’s leadership in the formation of the consortium and for recognizing the importance of nuclear industry in Virginia. I look forward to continuing our important work with Governor-elect McAuliffe in the coming years.”
The VNEC Authority was formed as a result of Governor McDonnell’s legislation during the 2013 session of the General Assembly. Senator McWaters patroned SB1138 and Delegate Scott Garrett patronedHB1790 to establish the Virginia Nuclear Energy Consortium Authority as a political subdivision of the Commonwealth for the purposes of making the Commonwealth a national and global leader in nuclear energy and serving as an interdisciplinary study, research, and information resource on nuclear energy issues.
The full membership of the VNEC Authority Board of Directors is below:
· Marshall Cohen of Fairfax, Vice President of Government Affairs and Communications at The Babcock and Wilcox Company
· David Christian of Toano, Executive Vice President of Dominion Resources and CEO of Dominion Generation
· Colleen Deegan of Rockville, Maryland, Vice President of Government Programs for Bechtel
· Donald R. Hoffman of Bethesda, Maryland, President and CEO of Excel Services Corporation and President of the American Nuclear Society
· Maureen Matsen of Richmond, Counsel for Christopher Newport University
· Matthew J. Mulherin of Yorktown, President of Newport News Shipbuilding and Corporate Vice President of Huntington Ingalls Industries
· Dr. Ganapati Myneni of Yorktown, Senior Scientist at Jefferson Lab
· Michael Rencheck of Powell, Ohio, President and CEO of AREVA, Inc.
· Ron Sones of Gladstone, Professor of Business at Liberty University and President of SIBS LLC
· Kiyoshi Yamauchi of Arlington, Chief Executive Director of Mitsubishi Nuclear Energy Systems, Inc.
· Director of the Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy or his designee
· President and Chief Executive Officer of the Virginia Economic Development Partnership or his designee
· The Chancellor of the Virginia Community College System or his designee
· The President of the University of Virginia or his designee
· The President of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University or his designee
· The President of George Mason University or his designee
· The President of Virginia Commonwealth University or his designee